Monday 12 April 2010

My Favourite Pop Video

Take On Me by A-ha


There is almost a whole page in Ali Smith's the accidental that describes what happens in this video, and it reminded me how it has always been my favourite. Not for the song, which is quite ordinary, but how the video was so innovative when it came out in 1985. A combination of animation and live action, it took a long time to produce. As Ali Smith puts it, "The boy from the strip cartoon winks at her, then holds out his hand, right out of the picture into her world, and she takes it in her real hand and goes inside the cartoon world, and becomes an illustration like him etc etc". It is a brilliant short original silent movie with music. That must be why I just love the silent sequences in movies set to a great pop song. There will be over half a dozen in my "131 Songs".

No comments: