Wednesday 14 April 2010

Alana Levandoski, Anna Nalick, A Fine Frenzy, Emily Barker and Nell Brydon (plus Amy Macdonald and Brandi Carlile)

Five new additions to my female singer songwriter collection. Alana Levandoski's 2006 debut album Unsettled Down is mostly of the gentle rock songs I enjoy. I will definitely put her new recording Lions and Werewolves on my list for the future.

Anna Nalick is slightly more country and Wreck of the Day also from 2006 is fine.

Whilst A Fine Frenzy (which is actually Alison Sudol) is more rocky with Coldplay type chords, but gentler. I really enjoyed One Cell in the Sea and looking forward to her new album out in July.

Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo is true folk in the Alison Krauss and Union Station class. I will have to listen to Despite The Snow a few more times before I pass judgement. (Second time round it's growing on me.)

No such problem with Nell Brydon's What Does It Take. Great songs with a bit of soul. I shall always remember listening to it the first time in the car on the way to the Almeida Theatre.

Amy Macdonald's new album A Curious Thing is every bit as good as her first. Real uptempo folk rock, with the occasional slower piece thrown in, that is perfect for my ears. The fourth track is a real blast. Love Love is a classic punk rock, just a little more sophisticated. Absolutely brilliant. I could never see her live for fear of a heart attack.

My third Brandi Carlile album, her latest, Give Up The Ghost is also excellent stuff. Two tracks stand out. Looking Out and Before It Breaks have been on repeat many times already. I have no idea which of her songs to pick for my 131. There are so many that I could choose. If she makes a best of compilation, it may be the best album of all time. But then there is Amy.

No comments: