Tuesday 18 August 2009

New Borders

My borders are OK for growing shrubs, but rubbish for perennial flowers. So I made the decision that the only way was to extend three of the borders. This meant having to dig out about nine inches of hard ground, remove it and replace it with topsoil. So last week, Mr Wells arrived with three lads, barrows and a lorry to take the spoil away, and a rotovator and pick axes to dig out the ground.

By the end of the first day, about two thirds of the digging and removal was complete. On the second day, the remainder of the digging and barrowing was done and the topsoil arrived, again barrowed in to fill the borders. It was heaped above the existing level to allow for settlement, and to add a couple of inches to the depth. So hopefully, by next summer, there should be lots of colour to enjoy. But that means a lot more plants to buy, although I did find three at less than half price in the sale in our local garden centre. I can transplant some that are struggling in their current positions and I might try growing some dahlias. They always have been one of my favourites.



No comments: