Monday 10 August 2009

The day I met Princess Margaret

I remembered last night that not only had I shaken the hand of the Queen (see posting 9/6/08) but I had also shaken hands with her sister. Just after we moved to London in 1953, when I was eight years old, Princess Margaret was to visit the Royal Albert Hall to accept charitable donations from schools from all over the country. My old school in Alton in Staffordshire proposed that instead of sending one of their own pupils, I might like to go instead. So it was that I joined a long line of children in the underground corridors of the hall, waiting for our turn to climb the steps up and into the blinding light of the auditorium. There we handed to the Princess our envelopes, shook her hand and made our exit. All over in a flash.

No comments: