Tuesday 27 January 2009

Louisa Maria Brooks

Louisa Maria Brooks was my Gran's (Dad's mum) mother. I found her on the 1891 Census aged 20 and living with her parents, two sisters and two of her three brothers. Her birthplace was given as Wales, and I had her age, so finding the registration of her birth should have been a piece of cake. But I could not find her listed.

However, I looked again on the 1901 Census, and there she was, living with her husband Charles Haywood Hoyland with two sons and two daughters including Gran aged 9. This time it gave her birthplace as Wales, Yorkshire. So I hunted on the Internet and found a Wales, eight miles from Rotherham. So two weeks ago I was back to the library, and this time I found her name with a birthplace of Rotherham. When the birth certificate arrived, it was the right one. It gave the registration sub-district as Beighton. This is not far from Wales.

What was more interesting was her actual birthplace being Treeton (four miles from Rotherham)and she was born on the 21st July 1870. Treeton (www.treetonweb.co.uk) only had 383 inhabitants in 1871 and this rose dramatically in 1875 when Rotherham Colliery sunk mineshafts and built 242 miner's cottages. The Brooks family had left by then, but interestingly, Louisa's father was a Colliery Agent at her birth. Maybe he was involved in the search for coal. He must have done quite well as by 1891, the family was living off Abbeydale Road South in the nice Sheffield suburb of Norton, not that far from Dore where I first went to school.

No comments: