Wednesday 2 July 2008

Family History


I'm not supposed to be doing anything on my Family History until I have finished "The Seymours". But doing a quick search for some web based family history software, I could not help entering my surname into Google and that was it. Looking at the some ancestors in Sheffield, I found them in an essay on "Sheffield Silversmiths" and two books on the cutlery trades.
I had thought the research done by another branch of the family was exhaustive, but it is amazing what new information the Internet can provide. The above Jacob Roberts (baptised 1697) is referred to in the Cutler's Company Minute book for 1728 that notes "Jacob Roberts, late of Sheffield Cutler, having been absent from his family for a considerable time past and not yet returned (or likely to return) and Mary, his wife, being left in such poor circumstances is uncapable to continue on the Business etc".

No comments: