Wednesday 2 July 2008

Amy MacDonald, Brandi Carlile, Minnie Driver and Michelle Branch

There are so many fantastic female singer-songwriters, and I have added another four to my CD collection.

How can someone of 20 write such perfect upbeat, folk inspired rock and roll that appeals to an oldie like me? Amy Macdonald can, and her album This is the Life is brimming with uplifting pop songs. As soon as the CD came on in the car, it was a case of turning up the volume and being transported to another place. For me, this is one of the best albums I have heard for a long, long time.

Brandi Carlile's songs used to be more alt country, but on her latest album The Story, we are in more mainstream territory, but none the poorer for that. I'm not the only one who thinks she is like a female Ryan Adams. The difference is that every song on the album is easy on the ear. Her voice is raunchy and strong, a little in the Bonnie Tyler style. The producer for the recording is none other than T Bone Burnett (who also produced Raising Sand), and his use of a punchy bass with hard chord sequences result in haunting instrumentals that do justice to these great tunes. The final track, Again Today is just wonderful, there is even a fan's website that uses the title, so other people must feel the same. A slow, quiet first half beginning with the accompanyment of an extraordinary hollow keyboard sound, the band suddenly burst into a heavy chord sequence that then accompanies the rest of the track before slowing at the end. Brilliant lyrics "The path of least resistance is catching up with me again today". For me, it just does not get any better.

I cannot remember how I came to hear Michelle Branch, it might have been an Amazon recommendation. Not quite in the same class as the previous two, but Hotel Paper is still a very good album. A couple of tracks border on a country/ folk sound, but basically good old rocky pop. Her latest CD is a joint collaboration with Jessica Harp. The album is Stand Still -Look Pretty and they call themselves The Wreckers. This has much more of a country sound, almost too country for me, probably down to the Nashville roots of Jessica. I prefer the tracks written by Michelle, and looking forward to listening to her earlier album, The Spirit Room.

Why did I buy Minnie Driver's CD? After reading the reviews, I heard samples on allmusic.com and thought it sounded OK. Well it is... OK. And that is about all. Nothing objectionable, but nothing exciting. The production is equally bland. It does have a guest appearance of Ryan Adams on one track, but you would never know. Overall it was just OK.

I didnt realise I owned so many recordings by female singer songwriters. As well as my long time favourites Sarah McLachlan, Nanci Griffith, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Emmy Lou Harris, Lucinda Williams, K T Tunstall and Thea Gilmore, there are others such as Nina Gordon, Tina Dico, Lena Marlin, Aimee Mann, Shelby Lynne, Lucie Silvas, Jewel, Lisa Miskovsky, Tara Blaise, Julie Miller, Jenny Queen, Shawn Colvin, Nerina Pallot, Sandi Thom, Tift Merritt, Eve Sellis and Gina Villalobos. Quite a collection.

No comments: