Wednesday 12 March 2008

Juno, National Treasure and There Will be Blood

For such a low budget movie, Juno is a remarkable success. The witty script by Diablo Cody, for which she deservedly won the Oscar for best original screenplay,and the acting of Ellen Page carry the film. Occasionally the quick fire dialogue is hard to catch, but the acting overall is first class. Juno's parents bring an unexpected warmth to the proceedings, and even Jennifer Garner does a good job. Why do other reviews concentrate on the director? Anyone could have made an equally good film given this piece of brilliant writing. There are moments that make you think long after leaving the cinema. I only questioned why the intended adopter's husband left his wife much later, and suddenly realised that he would be much more comfortable with a partner like Juno than his stodgy and humourless wife.

I had a difficult decision to make the week I went to see National Treasure; Book of Secrets. I crossed off Jumper and The Bucket List, so decided this was the best of the week. I was pleasantly surprised. A lightweight but enjoyable adventure with some unusual casting. Nicholas Cage did OK, but Helen Mirren was out of her depth in the final action sequences.

Now There will be Blood is a different type of film altogether. I can see why the audience numbers were quite low. I thought I would be the only one watching when I went, until two couples arrived late. It is slow in parts but I found every minute was highly watchable. I think someone said it was the kind of film to sit back and let it take you over, and I can see what he meant. The cinematography is some of the best ever, and deserved the Oscar. Daniel Day Lewis gives one best of the all time performances. The trouble is, he is so good at portraying a man who basically hates everybody, that there is no counterweight to the foreboding that persists throughout. But as a piece of acting on screen or in the theatre, I have seen none better. I also think Paul Thomas Anderson deserved an Oscar. It is his screenplay and direction which make it a work of art. The movement of the camera following the rescuers to the fire is absolute magic. I think it deserved the Oscar for best film, for me it just beats No Country for Old Men. An outstanding movie that will stand alongside the best of all time in years to come.

No comments: