Thursday 20 March 2008

Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset

At last I have completed the reading for my project on Edward Seymour when he was Protector of the Realm for the three years from 1547 to 1549. The thirteen books (as well as many articles) range from England Under Protector Somerset: An Essay by Albert Fred Pollard in 1900 to Edward VI The Lost King Of England by Chris Skidmore published last year. The latter is the last book I have read, and the best. Although only 27 years old, and being the first book he has written, this is a remarkable publication. The most readable and informative of all those I have studied, it was marvellous to finish my research with the best of the bunch.

The final paragraph even locates the burial place of the three main characters (Edward and Thomas Seymour and John Dudley). The Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula in the Tower of London contain their bones alongside those of three queens: Anne Boletn, Catherine Howard and Jane Grey.

No comments: