Sunday 9 December 2007

All New Chilterns Walk

Last Monday was such a beautiful day, I had to go out for a walk. I wanted to try a new route and Alison had said how nice it had been on her run with Sara the previous day. This had been around Little Hampden, so looking at the map, I found a circular route of around seven miles that might work.

The walk started from the car park at Coombe Hill and I set off for Dunsmore which is the same direction as my usual circular walk which takes in Chequers and Eddlesborough. At the stables just below Dunsmore, instead of going straight on, I turned left. Now I was on footpaths that were new to me. Through some woods, I was soon walking along a ridge, not high but with superb views. This was a very quiet, almost isolated part of the Chilterns I had never seen before.

Turning off the ridge, I went downhill to meet a path across some fields and eventually came to the village of Little Hampden. Instead of following the road, I headed for a wood where after a short while, another path took me across a big field back to the road. It was here I found The Rising Sun. This is a country pub that I had passed on a walk a long time ago. But the path I wanted was in a different direction and was heading back towards Coombe Hill.

This was the first new major circular walk I had attempted for some years. It has the added advantage that there are a number of alternative, almost parallel paths along the way to try. It did take in some beautiful countryside, no particularly high ridges as most of my usual routes, but nonetheless superb. A definite addition to my trusted circular walks and I am already looking forward to doing it again.

No comments: