Friday 16 March 2007

Lucinda Williams' "West" and Thea Gilmore "The Threads" EP

Two of my favourite artists have new CD's. When I first heard the opening two tracks of "West", I thought this was not in the same league as Lucinda Williams' "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road". But then came track three and everything changed. The opening chords were haunting and the song was as good as anything she has recorded. The experience of her mother's death runs through many of the songs, not least for "Learning How To Live". Why cant we have more piano solos like the one in the middle of this track. It reminded me a little of Floyd Cramer, the grandaddy of country pianists. "Come On" is a real rocky track with a wonderful Hammond organ in the background. Another reminder, this time Alan Price's playing on "House of the Rising Sun". Having now listened to the album a few times, all the songs have a great deal to offer in their different ways. An excellent piece of work.

There are few artists that would get me out on a Saturday evening, but Thea Gilmore is one. When I found out she was performing an acoustic set at The Stables on the outskirts of Milton Keynes, I was wondered how this would be. Especially after seeing her with her band two years ago at the same venue. I need not have worried. Her songs fit perfectly with one or two guitars (the other supplied by her partner/producer/etc Nigel Stonier). She played many of my favourites, along with half a dozen I had never heard before. Four of these were from a new limited edition EP called "The Threads) that we were able to buy after the show. And four of the best tracks she has recorded. And she saved my all time favourite "This Girl is Taking Bets" (thanks to Johnny Walker again for introducing me to Thea's music) for the end. I think I was the only poor soul who clapped the intro.

No comments: