Thursday 8 March 2007

All go in my new study

It has taken over two months to organise, but at last the new study is up and running. Since my last posting (two weeks ago) I have set up the new computer, installed a wireless router (thank goodness I bought it from Virgin, my internet provider, as the installation instructions were not specific about using the ethernet cable (whatever that is) and I ended up using the USB cable provided. So Virgin were able to let me know what to do and it was working in no time.

I then had to buy a wireless adaptor for the new computer. PC World were not sure if they had one that was compatable with Vista. They checked that the Belkin was, even though it did not say as much on the box. The first time I followed the installation CD, it did not work. Eventually I phoned Virgin who suggested I uninstall, try again or take it back to the shop. I took some advice from some reviews on the internet, tried a different way of installing and seemed to get a connection, but how I will never know. This took most of Sunday, missing West Ham v Spurs which Alison said was the best game of the season. So now I get internet and e-mails to my new computer by magic.

On Tuesday, the office furniture (from Weelemobel) arrived. Two desks went together really well - trust the Germans to have the perfect fixings and almost perfect instructions, the shelf unit was the same and the drawer unit only needed the casters, runners and handles fixing. Very impressed. So this is the first posting from a new desk. All the photos from the other computer are now loaded and started to transfer to Picasa. I might even be able to start my history project next week.

No comments: