Of course, Pressure is a Working Title production. Andrew Scott is excellent as the real-life uptight Group Captain James Stagg, an RAF weather man. The film is based on the stage play written, directed and starring David Haig (mainly known in our house for playing Inspector Grim in The Thin Blue Line opposite Rowan Atkinson). Anthony Maras has taken over directing duties for the film and has co-written the screenplay with Haig. What could have been a boring story, it maintains the drama of forecasting the weather for the D-Day landings all the way through. From potential disaster if they had not listened to Stagg to that crucial window in the stormy weather. We could have cheered.
I have to say I was less impressed with Brendan Fraser as Eisenhower, completely overshadowed by his British secretary Kay Summersby, played by the superb Kerry Condon. But it's Andrew Scott who should pick up some awards. It was interesting that the main location was Mentmore Towers (not far away from us), which is now unoccupied and facing major repairs. The poster above is strange in that Brendan Fraser seems to be edging out Andrew Scott. So I have included the photo below.
Henry K. Miller in September's Sight and Sound magazine was less impressed. "Historically dubious theatrics" and "on the surface contrivance after contrivance". But I preferred Peter Bradshaw's review, where he says, "It's a slick presentation and earnestly performed with an important story to tell."
The latest film from Aardman Animations is a follow-up to their Sean the Sheep film, this time introducing The Beast of Mossy Bottom. It's "all about horror films and English village life". From Frankenstein to Jurassic Park, Psycho to The Shining and all those British Hammer movies. Well, the film is based all around Halloween, so lots of pumpkins. Then how do you pack in everything about modern life? I liked the parcel deliveries where it's even photographed on the doorstep. And Sean texting the vet for help using emojis. I missed remembering so much, but I did see the top of a multiplex in the corner of one frame when they visited a town. And all those solar panels.
Sean and his mates are brilliant; even the older female never lost her rollers after their fast escape. I liked the female vet and the farmer. All those chases, the mob with pitchforks and other common implements. Then it's all about the dangers of untested substances. And what were all those mathematical equations on the blackboard? For us older viewers there were lots of mentions I cannot now remember. Except for a sudden blast of the theme tune from The Archers. Well done, Aardman.
The new film critic in The Sunday Times, Hadley Freeman, gave the film her first five-star review. "I hoped it would never end."

%20as.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment