Friday 1 December 2023

A Late Autumn Village Walk

 

It was such a beautiful afternoon yesterday that I took my camera on this walk from the house. It is basically a circular route and mostly on paths off the road. First stop was the church of St Mary the Virgin.


Looking ahead from the churchyard.

With the Chiltern ridge in the distance,

At the end of the churchyard there is a gate to first field.


At the end of the field is another gate into a much bigger field.


This path can get extremely muddy but at the moment it's fine.

Looking across the field to the hills beyond.

Looking through a gap in that left hand hedge.

At the far end of the field, a gate takes you to the newly restored canal path where I turn left.


A few ducks along the way.

The canal path reaches Halton where I turn right at the bridge.

And there is St Michael's Church.

A short walk to a crossroads where I turn right. The road is actually called Halton Village. On the other side of the road are the playing fields for RAF Halton (see the sign). I'm about half way round the walk.

I actually leave the path next to the road and walk along the edge of RAF Halton cricket field.

At the end of the path there are good views to the Chiltern Ridge.

Then back to the road and the bridge over the canal. The first photo is the path to Wendover and the second is only a hundred yards to where I joined it.



A short distance to leaving the road and heading for the Weston Turville Nature Reserve.



This is one of the two paths either side of Weston Turville Reservoir. This one eventually passes by the yacht club.  


The path leaves the wooded section and arrives at the reservoir.



There is a lovely raised path along the waterfront.


So the views across to the Chiltern ridge are superb. There are often swans and ducks at the end of the path, but they are somewhere else today.



Leaving the reservoir, I came out onto Worlds End Lane.


A couple of hundred yards and a grassy path leaves the road.


Then a style into a field.


To arrive at the allotments in Weston Turville.


And I'm back in the village. Those house are where I turned left to the church.


The route is about four miles. Great for me on a day like this.

No comments: