Friday 11 August 2023

Battersea Power Station - Lift 109 and Royal Court Theatre


 I last visited Battersea Power Station in 2019 when it was still under reconstruction and refurbishment. I included lots of photos on my post of 8th August of that year. Just like the one below.

It was not until I read there that all the white chimneys were brand new, just replicas of the old. And that was why they were able to include a visitor lift inside one of them. Some photos of Lift 109 are below. 

But I will start with journey there. Alison kindly dropped me at Tring Station as the Chiltern Line was shut and replaced by buses to Amersham. Amazingly, the 9.43 am train to Euston started at Tring and was waiting for me to board. Arrived at Euston and took the Northern Line all the way to the brand new station for Battersea Power Station. Just one hour 35 minutes from leaving home.


I was early for my timed ticket for Lift 109 and had plenty of time to explore the three levels of the brand new shops and restaurants in the main turbine hall.



But I was more interested in the construction. I was impressed by the glazed terra cotta cladding in the top photo above where ribbed faience tiles covered the structure. (See Boston Terra Cotta website). The roof construction below is a work of art.



I found the sign directing me to the upper level for Lift 109.

Above the entrance is this sign.

There is a small interactive exhibit while waiting to be transported to the top of one of the replica chimneys. Of the photos that showed the history of the power station, I particularly liked the one from 1955 when we were living not that far away.

There are two large screens that show the movement of the lift as it rises to the top.


There is a clever swing door to enter the first traditional enclosed lift. This takes you to the bottom of the chimney where there are then 39 steps to the next lift. Any reference to John Buchan's book? Somehow I found myself at the head of our party so pushed on with the help of the handrails.


At the top is a circular glass lift and there are some great views of the construction from inside.




The real bonus is that the lift rises just above the top of the chimney, so the views are quite spectacular. The first must have been taken by a drone.





Our time was over too quickly. I just wanted something simple for lunch and a sandwich in Pret a Manger was just right. I did have time to wander around outside the power station, and sat in some shade next to the river in the warm sunshine.


Then it was time to head to Sloane Square for the Royal Court Theatre. A twenty minute walk up Chelsea Bridge Road and I was at the theatre in plenty of time and taking a well deserved rest.




No comments: