Tuesday 25 October 2022

Tring Book Club - Still Life by Sarah Winman

 

A book full of wonderful characters and glorious writing. I liked the switches between post war London and Florence where the locations are beautifully described. I particularly enjoyed those in the Italian city. Some of the dialogue is the best I have ever read. The story follows Ulysses from the last years of the war in France and then back home to his new home at Col's pub. I liked how we follow Alys, born in 1944, a few months before me. As the book follows the decades, I could relate to her story. Although Alys is not the daughter of Ulysses, she is the next best thing. Her conversation with old Cressy the day before she starts school is outstanding. And then, years later, her meeting Evelyn Skinner in a church is equally good. 

Although there are so many excellent scenes, far too many to mention. When Ulysses and Alys leave for Florence without old Cressy, "There are moments in life, so monumental and still, that the memory can never be retrieved without a catch to the throat or an interruption to the beat of the heart". We were there in Florence nearly thirty years ago so our memories are in the distance. I had to search photo albums to find the pictures we took, well before digital cameras. It seemed that everyone at book club enjoyed the story as much as I did. 

No comments: