Friday 1 July 2022

Weigelia Red Prince - A Major Prune

 

I must have planted the Weigelia over twenty years ago. It has a profusion of red flowers all through spring and into early summer. It still had some flowers left when I attacked it this week. The problem was that there were long bare branches with some leaves and flowers at the far end. It only flowers on new growth. So it was time for some serious pruning. 




The cuttings filled two huge garden rubbish bags that went to the recycling centre. I also exposed a large area soil which has been cleared of weeds etc and that I can now keep under control. There was room for a new rose on the bottom right of the photo above. Although there was a huge root that had first be removed. So I'm not sure how long the rose will last.



No comments: