Friday 18 February 2022

Isabella Askew

 

It was when I sent off for the death certificate of my great Grandmother Jane Askew (ne Cuthbertson) that I found one of her daughters who was listed as the informant. Isabella Askew was recorded there as Isabella Abbs. So all I did was to Google "Isabella Askew Abbs" and found her on East Anglian Ancestors where she was married to George John Abbs. They had six children and still lived in Rotherham when Isabella died in 1930 at the too young age of 45. 

George and Jane Askew had eleven children of whom seven were girls. I only has a record of the eldest (Eleanor)  being married from the 1902 Census. Isabella was the fifth child and I like to think that as she was living not far from her parents after she married, she kept in regular contact. And that is why she is the informant. 

As for Jane Askew, she lived until she was 60 years old and died at home at 29 Mary Street (2 house 3 court) Rotherham on 16th July 1917. Her husband George is still recorded as a Coal Miner and he died at the ripe old age of 73. At the same address. 

On 20th January 2011, I posted a piece about the Askew sisters. This included "Isabella was 17 in 1901 and was in the employ of a Publican, Walter Holloway and his wife Annie, as a General Domestic Servant at The Miner's Arms in Rotherham."  For more detail go to:

http://sites.google.com/site/askewfamilyhistory where there is a link to my freepages.rootsweb data.

College Road and Mary Street still exist in Rotherham as shown on the map below:



No comments: