Wednesday 10 November 2021

The Songs and Sights of Last Night in Soho


 I'm not going to list all the songs from Last Night in Soho, but I will pick out a few of my favourites that took me back to 1965 when I was twenty, and like Ellie (above) was living in London. We know she loves the sounds of the sixties when at the start she dances around her bedroom at home  to Peter and Gordon's "A World Without Love". This is quickly followed by my favourite song from the film "Don't Throw Your Love Away" by the Searchers. The reason being that I have never heard this recording played so loud and so clear. Even my headphones do not compare. The guitar riffs at the start are quite something. 

"Don't Throw Your Love Away" was the follow up to The Searchers' number one hit "Needles and Pins" and producer Tony Hatch encouraged an equally distinctive sound for another, but their last,  number one in the UK. Goodness knows who came up with the idea to cover the B side of a recording by The Orions in the USA that reached the dizzy heights of 55 in their charts. 

Dusty Springfield's "Wishin' and Hopin'" was an obvious choice for Ellie leaving for London. I loved the way Ellie puts on a record before she goes to sleep, and that first time as she hits night time  West End to the sound of Cilla Black's "You're My World", only to enter the night club to find Cilla actually performing the song. 

Two instrumentals rattled by brain cells. "Beat Girl" by John Barry was for the film of the same name and  "Wade in the Water - Live at Kooks Kleek" by The Graham Bond Organisation. Then Sandie Shaw's "Puppet on a String" will never be the same after this movie, as will Barry Ryan's "Eloise": the second half of the film reflects an altogether darker tone. Even Anya Taylor-Joys own rendition of "Downtown" is surreal. I cannot say I remember the title track at the end credits by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick and Titch. But it does work so well.

There is a lovely piece on denofgeek.com about the poster for Thunderball that is lit up for the movie. I remember seeing the film at the Odeon Hammersmith the day it was released. Or that should be the night as it was shown a  minute past midnight on 29th December 1965. I'm sure I nodded off during the over long underwater sequence near the end.

I wasn't sure how Ellie could afford a bedsit on her own in Goodge Street. In 1965 I was also sharing an attic in Chiswick with my friend Bob that was far less salubrious than Ellie's top floor room. I cannot remember visiting the West End much in those days. Only seeing A Hard Day's Night at the London Pavilion, now part of the Trocadero Centre near Piccadilly Circus.

No comments: