Thursday 7 October 2021

Soundtrack of American Graffiti - The Songs of my Youth

 

Yesterday I watched American Graffiti for the very first time. Set in 1962, the soundtrack was the music of my youth. I was 17. The 1973 film itself was pretty terrible, despite the director being George Lucas and the producer Francis Ford Coppola. But the soundtrack is spectacular, especially for someone of my age. It is pure nostalgia. I can remember listening to Radio Luxemburg (Radio 1 only started in 1967 as a response to pirate radio stations) and writing down playlists from shows such as Jack Jackson's Jukebox. Many of the following tracks were featured on these programmes. These are just some of the 41 songs from the soundtrack album.

Rock Around The Clock - Bill Hayley. Recorded in 1954, I have previously written about summer holidays at my grandmothers when, at around the age of eleven or twelve, we played the LP of the same name that belonged to my uncles. 

Runaway - Del Shannon.  Number 10 of my "131 Songs" on my post of 1st December 2009. I saw Del at the Royal Albert Hall on 17th November 1985 on the Rock'n'Blues Tour of the UK. Also on the bill were Bobby Vee, Bi Diddley and Ricky Nelson. 

Why Do Fools Fall In Love - Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers. I had not heard this track for decades.

That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly. It was a toss up between this track and Peggy Sue as to which made my "131 Songs".

At The Hop -  Performed in the film by Flash Cadillac/Continental Kids, but  originally a big hit for Danny and the Juniors in 1957. Watching them on YouTube made me smile. The fact that a piano playing a succession of thumping chords can turn in such great rock and roll is a wonder.

Surfin' Safari - The Beach Boys. Released in 1962, It was on my compilation LP that was played to death later in the sixties.

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes - The Platters. I always preferred their version of Only You from 1955.

Louie Louie - Richard Berry. He wrote the song in 1955 and it was originally released as a B-side in 1957. There have been many cover versions, notably by The Kingsmen in 1963 The Kinks in 1964. It does not appear on the soundtrack album as in the film it is performed by the house band Flash Cadillac etc.

Little Darlin' - The Diamonds. Another big hit I had not heard for decades, Amazing to see them perform their 1957 cover on YouTube. Then another video from 2012, they are in their sixties? In full evening dress. 

Barbara Ann - The Regents. This was the original from 1961, but I only knew the Beach Boys version from 1965.

The Book of Love - The Monotones. Released in 1957, written by members of the group and there it is on YouTube. Wonderful.

Maybe Baby - Buddy Holly. One of Buddy's best from 1957. He wrote, played, sung and produced this track. On YouTube the song is accompanied by stills from the movie.

The Great Pretender - The Platters. Still missing Only You. Releaded in 1956, I never knew the group included a female singer until I watched YouTube.

Aint That a Shame - Fats Domino. Not The Fat Man that was number 4 of my "131 Songs". Also see my post of 26th October 1917 shortly after his death.

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry. I chose You Never Can Tell for my "131 Songs". I saw Chuck at the Odeon Hammersmith in 1964, see post of 28th January 2015.

I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingoes. Their cover version was released in 1958.

Party Doll - Buddy Knox. A recording from 1957 that was co-written by the singer.

You're Sixteen - Johnny Burnette. a big hit in the UK in 1961, He nearly made my 131 Songs" with Dreamin'. All these songs are on YouTube and it has been a real treat to here them again.

Love Potion Number 9 - The Clovers. Written by the hit machine that was Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and recorded by The Clovers in 1959, it was a much bigger hit for The Searchers in 1964.

Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners. A 1958 hit and covered by all people, Guns N Roses in 1994.

Green Onions - Booker T and The MG's. An instrumental that was a big hit in 1962. Someone had the record at one of my digs in 1963 and it was played on repeat. There was nothing to compare with it in those days. When it came on in the film, my heart missed a beat.

Only You - The Platters. And there it was. The third song from the Platters released in 1955. Another record that belonged to my uncles and often played when we visited there a few years later.

Goodnight, Well It's Time To Go - The Spaniels. Or known as Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight. Recorded in 1953, there have been many cover versions. None better than the original.

All Summer Long - The Beach Boys. Not their best, but appropriate for being played over the end credits. Google "American Graffiti End Credits Song" and find the complete list of music in the movie.

What I didn't expect when I started this post was finding all the songs on YouTube, many of which being performed by the artists. It has been quite a trip down memory lane. Some songs have passed the test of time better than others. 



No comments: