Thursday 18 March 2021

Movies at Home - About Time, This Is Spinal Tap and Empire Of The Sun

 

I had seen About Time before, but as I am always a sucker for Richard Curtis films, I persuaded Alison she might like it too. However,  she was not impressed, similar to most of the critics. It must be me. Bill Nighy is great as Bill Nighy. I also made a note on this blog on 31st January 2018 about the song "Friday I'm In Love" by The Cure.

There was a clip from This Is Spinal Tap in Mark Kermodes "Secrets of Cinema - Pop Movies" that I posted on 25th January 2021 under the Rockumentaries section. His recommendation made me buy a second hand DVD. However this time it was me who was not impressed. It was made on the cheap and it looked like it. Only rare moments were funny. I wish I hadn't bothered.

I had missed watching Steven Spielberg's blockbuster Empire of the Sun at the cinema where it might have been a lot better than on my TV. To me it was a rambling story, more spectacle than substance. There is very little warmth in the film and getting in everything about the occupation of China by the Japanese was all too predictable. Probably why I gave it a miss at the time. Only notable for a very young Christian Bale as the youn.g lead.

No comments: