Friday 26 February 2021

The Garden in February

 

The first half of February was extremely cold, on days the temperature did not rise above freezing. It was not until the 15th that I was able to lift a block of ice from the pot below.

But now we are in the middle of a much milder spell with lots of sunshine. The crocus and daffodils are splendid.



I was able to give the lawns their first cut yesterday.


What I thought were mini tulips that I included on a previous post must be something else, being so early. But they obviously like it where I stuck them in the border.


My perennial wallflower below (Erysimum "Bowle's Mauve)  has done really well over the years but now looks dead to me. According to reports they do not last more than a couple of years so it did OK. It was actually never in the right place so will look for something different at the front of the border under the Corylus Contorta. 


In the far bed I used the hedge trimmer to cut down all the lower Hypericum and this has now exposed the daffodils there.


The lawn edges were perhaps too soft and muddy to cut, but they do look better.


 

No comments: