Monday 21 December 2020

Rebecca at the Rex Berkhampstead

 

I usually post my movie reviews in threes, but as Tier 4 restrictions could last for a long time in the South East, here is something about my visit to the Rex cinema last week. Rebecca is actually a Netflix film, so I'm not sure how the Rex managed to find a copy of this very recent release. All the other films that were on their schedule are much older movies.

I was surprised to see that this production had such a decent budget. The picture was colourful and the sets excellent. The short pieces from the servant's quarters were very well filmed, and the old cars were gleamingly beautiful. Peter Bradshaw in The Guardian noted that the film was "overdressed and underpowered".

I was not impressed with the casting of Lily James and Arnie Hammer as Mr and Mrs de Winter. There was a lack of magnetism between the newly married couple. I know the story relies on the secrets of the past, but there is more excitement in the relationship between Lily James and the wonderful Kristin Scott Thomas as the dangerous Mrs Danvers. 

The supporting cast is good, it was nice to see Ben Crompton as Ben after his turn as the mate of Cormoran Strike on TV. And Keeley Hawes is always great in what was a cameo role. But not having Netfix, I was glad to see this film in the cinema.

No comments: