Monday 21 September 2020

The Porpoise, Mrs Eckdorf in O'Neill's Hotel and The Dutch House

 

Lets start with a positive note. the Book is based upon a huge amount of research by the author and is written with Haddon's normally excellent prose. Can I leave it at that? Not really. The trouble is all that research is here, not a word is missing and as such we are "treated" to so much mind blowing detail. I noted early on that it was, at times, a very uncomfortable read. That never lets go. The intricate construction is just there to make you read it again, and again, and .....

There are three separate stories here (I think it's three). I'm sure the short one set in the modern day is there for a reason, but it it is probably the most grubby of all. Then I guess the equally short introduction of William Shakespeare and George Wilkins, the joint writers of Pericles the play, is to inject some humour? No, it was just terribly boring. These two changed the "true" story of Pericles for dramatic reasons, if only Haddon had taken this on board.

I have to say here that I have read all Haddon's previous books, that being the reason I chose this one. There are writers who can combine different stories and timelines in a book that I have really enjoyed. This isn't one of them. And don't get me started on the ending!



An early novel by William Trevor is not one of his best, but still worth reading. My paperback was from 1971 and still in good condition nearly fifty years later. There are a variety of characters associated with the run down hotel that no longer actually receives customers. But Ivy Eckdorf imposes herself on the establishment. When she arrives at the hotel "she felt on the done-for court of some done-for monarchy; bodies might have once strewn this hall; the air was heavy with people weeping."

We get to know the various characters in depth as the book progresses, although I found the only one for whom I had sympathy was 0'Shea, the old hotel porter and general dogsbody who longed for a return the the hotel's glory days. But then we find out that Mrs Eckdorf is not a wholly reasonable woman. We should have known from the hint of the first few pages. She stoops at nothing to pursue what might be a fruitless task. She becomes a tormented monster in a smart suit, even old Father Hennesey is repelled by her.

The final last short chapter is really poignant and so well written. Trevor's beautiful Irish prose shines through.

There is a mention three quarters through of Trader Vic's Bar at the London Hilton. That took me back forty years ago to the heyday of my career.


This was my eighth novel by Ann Patchett and although all of them have been good, this was certainly one of her best. I loved the switches in time, they work perfectly. Even after a long passage about Maeve, a switch back to her teenage years is so clever. Yes, Maeve is the central character, but it is her relationships with brother Danny, our narrator, and his wife Celeste. A strange but always riveting triangle.

I think it was Danny's father who "worked the crossword puzzle before reading the front Page". I know someone who does the same! There are subtle descriptions of fathers and sons making the same mistakes, no not the same, but identical. Despite, although perhaps because of, the book being so brilliant, I have far fewer notes than usual. A book to read again.

No comments: