Wednesday 8 July 2020

The Films of Pedro Almodovar - Part 1

One of my favourite directors is Pedro Almodovar. I thought it might be interesting to watch some of his early work I had not seen. On the Studio Canal DVD The Almodovar Collection are the following movies.


Dark Habits is from 1983 and typical of the director's early work. Interesting but slightly amateurish. His writing could be called experimental. The first we see of Carmen Maura and Marisa Paredes.


Carmen Maura takes the lead role in some sort of black comedy. What have I Done To Deserve This from 1984 is no better than the first.


Law Of Desire (1987) is remarkable only for  an early role for a young Antonio Banderas. Carmen Maura again appears. Typical of Almodovar's sense of fun.


Carmen Maura and Antonio Banderas are here again in something more interesting. Women On the Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown (1988) is a farce that is humorous without exactly being funny.


In 1993's Kika, I think Almodovar was trying too hard to be satirical. Mixed with the odd sordid episode, it didn't work for me. Veronica Forque and Victoria Abril try their best.


Finally, and at last, Almodovar is writing with some panache. There is little story to The Flower Of My Secret (1995), but a nice romantic drama starring Marisa Parades. There is promise here of a brighter future for the director.




No comments: