Tuesday 21 January 2020

Tring Book Club - Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield


An excellent choice for book club. I had deleted it from my to-read list because of it's length (over 500 pages) but the writing is easy to read and the pages flew by. I particularly enjoyed the first half as we are introduced to multiple characters, all well described by the author. The plot is fairly complicated, with twists and turns along the way, but I liked that there were opportunities for reminders at various intervals. Although I was glad I was making notes for book club as this did help with remembering what was going on.

The action ramps up in the last third, something more like the thrillers I avoid, but fortunately this time they are limited in their length. The setting of those places on the upper reaches of The Thames could hardly have been better written and the atmosphere that was created never flagged. 

No comments: