Thursday 4 July 2019

Late Night, Sometimes Always Never and Toy Story 4


Mindy who? Sorry, I had never heard of Mindy Kaling. One critic said maybe, like the story, the movie needed a team of writers. I thought it did have but I was wrong. Just one. Mindy Kaling. The brilliant Mindy Kaling, whoever she is. Add in Emma Thomson on top form, and Mindy as her co-star, and we have a superior comedy drama. Somewhat predictable and hammy in the last 20 minutes, but that didn't spoil it. Late Night is great fun.


No wonder there is a shortage of grown up modern dramas when we get such turgid stuff as Sometimes Always Never. And I like Bill Nighy. He must have grown tired of his miserable character long before the film was shot. He plays the scene at the morgue like an amateur. Sam Riley has nothing to work with. The story is boring, the dialogue dull. Much better were cameos from Jenny Agutter and  Tim McInnerny. Their story might have been so much better.


I cannot for the life of me understand the rave reviews for Toy Story 4. It gets 98% on Rotten Tomatoes! There were some funny bits, Bunny and Ducky are great. I found myself laughing afterwards remembering some set pieces. I thought that the dummies might scare young children. OK, the ending is pretty emotional, but there are too many boring passages for me. Just not enough of Buzz!

No comments: