Tuesday 4 June 2019

Tring Book Club - Love is Blind by William Boyd


The  third William Boyd novel we have read at book club.. I first came across this writer in 2009 when he was being interviewed about his latest novel "Ordinary Thunderstorms". I thought it was a very decent thriller. As are many of his other eight books I have read. "Any Human Heart" and his Costa Book Award winning "Restless" are better written than his usual fare, however I cannot place "Love is Blind" in that category.

Boyd can really tell a good story, the action is sometimes at such a good pace, the prose suffers as a result. "If things get really bad, just let me know, if you want". The main characters also suffer from a lack of emotional insight, so they are somewhat cardboard cut outs and I lacked sympathy even for our hero. The locations are better described, from Edinburgh to other European destinations. 

However, this is an entertaining read with a good few twists along the way. There is some very interesting stuff about piano tuning and concert halls. Just switch off the cultural part of your brain and it will be fine.
 

.

No comments: