Tuesday 20 November 2018

Nerina Pallot at The Stables, Milton Keynes


Despite owning all her albums (except "that one"), I had never seen Nerina Pallot live. So when she was playing solo at The Stables last night, I was not sure if it would be as good as she is with a band on her recordings. How wrong I was.

She sits at the beautiful black grand piano and plays those fabulous opening bars from Juno, the first track on her latest (and in my opinion, best) album Stay Lucky. Her voice comes in, pitch perfect, sweet and soaring. I am blown away. We don't need a band. She is brilliant on her own. In fact, with a band there would be no room for that shiny grand piano and that is what her best songs needed.

I was lucky to have a seat at the side of the stage, so although she faces directly to tiered stalls, I am close enough to see her hands float across the keyboard. This is a wonderful experience, what a superb musician she is.

Four songs at the piano, including Idaho (one of five songs from her album Fires) and my favourite My Last Tango from dear frustrated superstar. I had left a note on her Facebook page hoping she might include it, but it wasn't on any of her previous set lists. I have always thought that Strictly should use this track whenever someone has to dance the Tango. That instrumental section towards the end is quite something.

Then a change to a guitar accompaniment, two songs with an acoustic and two with an electric. I would have preferred Daphne and Apollo on piano, but it gives Nerina a chance to talk about her early days learning the instrument and only three chords needed for this number.

After a short break, it's back to the piano. The second half includes Stay Lucky, the title track from the album with The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and All Gold from the same collection. I also remember Human, Everybody's Gone to War, Mr King, Geek Love and finishing the set with Put Your Hands Up.

Of course Nerina comes back for an encore, and it had to be Sophia. A superb performance and a memorable evening.

No comments: