Saturday 9 June 2018

My Name is Lucy Barton at The Bridge Theatre


A monologue is so different from a traditional drama, the actor speaking directly to the audience instead of the exact opposite. I can remember that Simon Callow performed one man plays but I had never seen one before. But if ever a book deserved this format it was the outstanding My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout. The adaptation by Rona Munro is faithful to the novel, in fact much of the text is identical. In fact the edit is just superb.

But it is Laura Linney who produces one of the memorable performances of my years going to the theatre. I think you have to get used to the how the story is delivered, it does jump around a little at the start. But once Lucy's mother arrives on the scene, visiting her daughter in hospital, and Linney alternates the characters talking about the past, we are thrown into the deep end of a dysfunctional family. 

I read the book a year ago and I posted the following review:

"This book is not depressing, in fact it highlights that family alienation is not all there is for a fulfilling life. Our narrator, an older Lucy, is looking back to the time she spent in hospital when her mother, whom she had not seen for years sits by her bed for days. They reminisce about the old days and make a connection that Lucy treasures, even if it only has to be this one time.

I found the writing to be of the highest order: “Loneliness was the first flavour I had tasted in my life, and it was always there, hidden in the crevices of my mouth, reminding me". This is a powerful and emotional story that can be read over and over. I thought it was superb".

The play reminded me of all the above, it was all there including the quote I mentioned. I also noted how I would never forget the garage and the truck. They both appear again! 

But I had forgotten that Lucy refuses to tell the story of her marriage. "This is not the story of my marriage. I have said I cannot write the story of my marriage". So, for the first time, I wonder what did go wrong. He didn't visit her in hospital. Was he having an affair? We are never told, except it was Lucy who left him and the two girls. There were other devastating pieces to think about.

Back to Laura Linney. She was just brilliant. I could not think of another actress of the right age for Lucy that could have been as good. She describes herself as a stage actress even though she has been in 42 movies. Apart from some early thrillers and an unforgettable role in The Truman Show, I have seen her in more recent films such as Love Actually, Mystic River, Sully and Nocturnal Animals.

The play is directed by Richard Eyre with great sensitivity. Apparently he first directed Linney in The Crucible in 2002 on Broadway and when Bridge Theatre impresario Nicholas Hytner mentioned Eyre would be directing, it put the seal on Linney taking the role. Their being reunited for this production was obviously a match made in heaven. The evening certainly was and deserved the total standing ovation at the end.

No comments: