Monday 15 January 2018

Star Wars - The Last Jedi, Molly's Game and All the Money in the World


Why didn't I just read my post of the previous Star War movie when I said that was the last I would ever go to see. But the reviews this time of The Last Jedi were all excellent. And I don't know why. I cannot remember anything of real merit, although the dialogue was OK. The story was all too familiar and predictable. As I said last time, I must be getting old.


Despite the wonderful script from Aaron Sorkin, I felt Molly's Game lacked any real emotional punch. Which is really weird. Jessica Chastain, whilst excellent as usual, seemed to play a very one dimensional character although her sparring with Idris Elba was interesting. But here again there was little spark between them. It is my view that the writer is not a great director, and that is the fault of a movie that could have been great. There was quite a lot that didn't add up and a new director would have that sorted. As they would have slowed down some of the rushed parts that missed that crucial emotional impact those scenes deserved. They may have also eliminated the narration that did the movie no help.


Contrast the above with the direction of Ridley Scott. All the Money in the World is a strange story of kidnapping, especially as the messing about with the real story didn't really work. Even the added excitement in the middle fell like a damp squib and the climax felt muddled. But what we did have was good dialogue and stand out performances from Michelle Williams and Christopher Plummer. Here Scott's direction was perfect. He should stick to drama and forget the set pieces until a good thriller comes along.

No comments: