Friday 17 November 2017

Follies - National Theatre Live


I normally steer clear of musicals, but the five star reviews for the National Theatre;s "Follies" took me to a live screening last night. I also love the Olivier Theatre, and the big revolving stage was perfect for this production.

Apparently, this is a problem play, but director Dominic Cooke has worked some magic with staging the songs. There is very little dialogue. The music is typical Stephen Sondheim, not always to my liking. But the cast gave it everything. I particularly liked Di Botcher's full steam delivery of "Broadway Baby". All the main cast have big numbers.

But for me, the stand out performance was from the wonderful Janie Dee. I have previously enthused about her in "All's Well That Ends Well" at The Globe, in Pinters's "Old Times", "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at Aylesbury Waterside, Alan Ayckbourn comedies and others. But I have never previously seen her in a musical, although she has done many. Imelda Staunton is also  very good, and she is an equally great  singer.


What really impressed me was the way the younger selves of the older main characters appear almost as ghosts, watching their mature characters in all their glorious failings. Usually in the background, but occasionally up close. This theatrical device made it for me.


No comments: