Tuesday 31 October 2017

Tring Book Club - The Storyteller by Jodi Picault


This was my first time reading of a Jodi Picoult novel and only because it was a book club choice. We get one joke very early on: "My husband hogs the remote because women control everything else". After that it is a story that becomes darker and darker. There were some good parts, discussions about forgiveness in particular.

But to me, there were things that were too unrealistic. In hindsight, some of the co-incidences were hard to accept. When I read it, I liked the bit where Sage talks about "the idea of my grandmother and Josef co-existing in this world". It was only later I thought this was way too much to be real.

The writing seemed a little heavy handed and the prose felt clunky and at times almost amateurish. However, the main character, Sage, is an interesting creation and it was always a delight to be in her company. Obviously, the passages that revealed the horror of the holocaust were powerful and I thought they were sensitively handled. 

No comments: