Friday 15 September 2017

Tring Book Club - Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland


I would never have read this book if it was not a book club choice. There is not a single newspaper review, only The Mail Online has an article and this is under their chick-lit section. Having said that, it has an amazing four and a half star average on Goodreads, with 99.9% being female reviewers.

My first impressions were OK. I'm a sucker for that conversational style of a first person narrator. "My bike with a basket on the front. What of it?" - "I didn't go to the poetry night. What of it?" - "I know what you're thinking". However this does get a little repetitive. There are times when the story is quite cute, but in the end I found the whole thing pretty bland. The writing did seem a little childish, was the author trying to write in the character of young Loveday? If so, this was a mistake, if not it needed to be a lot better.

No comments: