Thursday 16 February 2017

Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes at Milton Keynes Theatre


When someone puts their name before the title of a show, it better be good. Unfortunately The Red Shoes was a big disappointment. According to every review I have read and the reaction of the audience last night, I must be in a minority of one. Whilst I love classical ballet, this combination of third tier ballet (I'm being generous) and better modern dance was not my thing. It was also let down by the quality of the cast.

But the biggest mistake of all was that there was no live orchestra, as there had been on the pre London tour and at Sadlers Wells. To, me, this was a complete rip off. The ticket was £10 more than I paid for English National Ballet complete with a much larger set of dancers and a huge orchestra. So the canned music immediately put me in a bad mood.

Yes, I got how the story was presented and I guess that the choreography was pretty good if you like that sort of thing. I realise now I just don't. If Alison had arrived at the theatre by the time of the interval, I might have called it a day. And then I would have missed the shorter second half, which did have it's moments.


No comments: