Sunday 23 October 2016

The Good Liar, The Little Red Chairs and Towards the End of Morning


A clever, easy reading, amusing and enjoyable story. Almost a collection of short stories from the past held together by an ongoing narrative in the present day. For a first time novelist, I was impressed.


My first Edna O'Brien and if this is the best she can do, it will be my last. OK, it was a very powerful novel, shocking even. Something to endure rather than enjoy. It should really come with a warning. Of the three parts, Part 2 was the best but the last part was the most disappointing with a even poorer ending. There were bits thrown in that were never resolved. The writing wanted to be literate but I felt it just floundered. There are images that will stay with me, but I was glad when it ended.


One of Michael Frayn's early novels from 1988. Set mostly in the office of a fleet street newspaper, Frayn packs in everything he can remember of his time in such an organisation. Most of it is quite funny though now a little dated. The characters are not quite believable given their idiosyncrasies. All in all, a harmless diversion.

No comments: