Wednesday 20 January 2016

The Danish Girl, Joy and Star Wars: The Force Awakens


The poster of The Danish Girl still reminds me of an unnerving simpering performance from Eddie Redmayne. Perhaps he was too feminine for this role. I would have preferred someone more manly trying to come to terms with his gender reality. In the end I found this to be a bleak, disturbing and depressing film set against super high gloss production design, costumes and photography. A little weird that any scene that did not include Lili was quite acceptable. And rising above it all was a fabulous performance from Alicia Vikander as Gerda, unrecognisable from her role in Ex Machina. At least they got this casting right.


Obviously Jennifer Lawrence gained all the rave reviews for her leading role in Joy, but for me she just played Jennifer Lawrence. Her voice has the same recognisable twang in whatever role she plays. However she was perfect playing struggling single mother Joy Mangano. Maybe director David O Russell wanted the first half to be crazily offbeat to set up the brilliant second. Somehow it worked really well. The madness of Joy's awful family (great performances all round) made her triumph with her self wringing mop all the more welcome.


I could have done with missing the latest Star Wars movie. I blame Marie-Claire Chappet for her wonderful double page resumee of the story so far. These movies are no longer what I want to see. I find no emotional attachment whatsoever to any of the characters, except perhaps for dear old BB-8. There are the occasional exciting scenes and although the story is unbelievably flimsy, the dialogue is not all that bad. How John Boyega got a lead role I have no idea, but Daisy Ridley was excellent and is a star in the making. I just wont go to see her in Episode 8.

No comments: