Tuesday 25 August 2015

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, Mistress America and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.


Another fun outing for the MI guys, although I couldn't help but wonder if Tom wasn't trying to tell us something at the end of yet another stunt. Maybe "I'm getting to old for this"? OK, there were some serious plot holes, a copy of a Bond Opera sequence and an unappealingly grumpy Simon Pegg. But the set pieces and especially the music were top drawer.


Mistress America, despite it's good reviews, was on a seriously limited release. And after half an hour I could understand why as I wished I hadn't bothered. But then the relationship between Greta Gerwig and Lola Kirke starts to make sense and we are in are then in for quite a treat. So I have to give this movie five stars for ambition from the director Noah Boambach and his co writer Gerwig. It's jam packed with smart modern dialogue (although I have never met anyone who speaks like it) even if at the same time a lot sounds modernly dull. The stagy setting for the later main scene is enjoyable with the addition of some funny (peculiar) characters. I might have not understood why a corridor was trashed early on, but I'm glad I didn't when it was revealed why near the end. I had hoped for a typically cool soundtrack but it was disappointing in the end. The 80's feel could have been done better than the likes of Hot Chocolate, OMD, Suicide and Macca.


It was strange to see a British actor playing an American, an American playing a Russian and a Swedish actress playing a Brit. But that was the three leads for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I must have seen Henry Cavill in previous roles and the same for Armie Hammer but there names rang no bells. Unlike Alicia Vikander who was brilliant in Ex Machina and Testament of Youth. However this time round no acting skills were required. Another fun movie with added wit. Guy Ritchie has done a reasonable job with his other writers, but it's all in the action and magnificent sets, so it's his direction that keeps things moving along. And you cannot go wrong in Rome.

No comments: