Wednesday 17 June 2015

Scandi-mania


The Weekend supplement of The Times on Saturday included a double page feature about our love for Scandinavian drama. It all started with the brilliant Danish series The Killing starring Sofie Grabol (third from the left) on BBC every Saturday night in 2011. This was followed by Borgen, a political drama that I watched only occasionally. But I loved The Bridge, a Danish/Swedish production with Saga Noren (second from the left).

I persevered with The Legacy, a family dispute over a will, even though it did become a little repetitive. Trine Dyrholm (on the left) was the unpleasant main chararcter. That leaves Jordskott, showing on ITV Encore. We have only seen one episode so far but it seems promising. Moa Gammel (on the right) is a very good reason to stick with it.

My introduction to Scandanavian drama was through the excellent Wallander with Stieg Larsson. And then of course the movies starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I never mind the sub-titles unless they use a word that we would never have said. I much prefer it to a poorly dubbed soundtrack.

No comments: