Monday 4 May 2015

Death of a Salesman at The Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford


Two Arthur Miller plays in five weeks, both new to me, and equally bleak. Here we have Willy Loman, a washed up salesman of sixty three. I could not help comparing my own self, retired at the same age. But Willy is still dreaming, not only wishing for a life with no more travelling, but also that he can earn enough on which to enjoy his last years. Anthony Sher is quite extraordinary, perhaps the best piece of acting I have ever witnessed. I can only vaguely remember his performance as Shylock in the RSC production of The Merchant of Venice at The Barbican in 1988. Well it was twenty seven years ago. I'm glad I kept the programme as it tells me the part of Soliano was played by a certain Gregory Doran, united here with Sher again, but this time as director.

This is such a powerful play, although maybe something about how things used to be. But the human drama is quite staggering. Harriet Walter is equally outstanding as Willy's supportive wife Linda. How she tolerates Willy's constant put-downs later in the play I have no idea. And where did  Arthur Miller dream up such a person. I also loved Joshua Richards' performance as Charley, it's just a shame that Willy's two sons paled in comparison. But that is a minor quibble. The set was amazing, the main Stratford theatre is making such exceptional use of it's stage these days.

Next up for me ..... The Merchant of Venice to close the circle.

No comments: