Sunday 15 March 2015

Songs from "Call the Midwife" - Series 4


Welcome to the latest song listings for the new series of "Call the Midwife". The trailer for the 2015 series features Baby I'm Yours by the Arctic Monkeys and not the 60's hit by Peter and Gordon. We are into 1960 and as a fifteen year old, I was already entranced by the new popular music that was bursting onto the radio. None more so than our first artist.

Episode 1

Now or Never by Elvis Presley. Eight weeks at number one in the charts in 1960.

Diana by Paul Anka. Another number one for this 1957 recording. I can remember vividly walking with my mother into Kensington Gardens and hearing this song coming from a portable record player from someone lazing on the grass. This was unheard of in the late fifties, they must have been American.

Wondrous Place by Billy Fury. A minor hit in 1960. But I guess our illustrious music supervisor could have equally chosen Billy's recording of Colette from the same year in recognition of the name of the mother who gave birth in this episode. But that would probably have been too silly.

Too Young by Dodie Stevens. This one was a real tester to find. It was the B-side to her recording of Yes, I'm Lonesone Tonight, but I guess preferable to the lush strings of the versions by Patty Andrews and Nat King Cole.

Put Your Head On My Shoulder by Paul Anka. Yes, him again, but what a great song.

Episode 2

Only two songs tonight.

With All My Heart by Petula Clark. A song from 1957.

Hello, Young Lovers by Keeley Smith from her 1960 album "Swing". A great version of the Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein II composition for "The King and I".

Episode 3

Just the song over the final credits:

Belonging to Someone by Patti Page. A song from 1958 written by Al Hoffman and Dick Manning. A hit in the USA but I'm not sure if it was ever released in the UK.

Episode 4

I didn't recognise the first song when the girls are talking in their bedroom.  Thanks to Ian, I now know this is You're Still My Baby written and sung in 1953 by Chuck Willis. I have never heard this song before.

Fever by Peggy Lee recorded in 1958. Written by Eddie Cooley and Otis Blackwell and first  recorded by Little Willie John in 1956.

La Bamba by Ritchie Valens. A Mexican folk song later recorded by Los Lobos in 1987 as the title song of the film of the same name. A great soundtrack.

Come On-A My House by Rosemary Clooney recorded in 1951 and written by Ross Bogdasarian and William Saroyan.

True Love Ways by Buddy Holly, written by the singer and Norman Petty and recorded in 1958, four months before Buddy died.

There is a song in the background when Bridget goes into labour. Again only thanks to Ian, I can reveal this is Just One Of Those Things sung by Billie Holiday in 1957. Written by Cole Porter.

Something's Gotta Give sung by Sammy Davis Jr. Recorded in 1955 and written by Johnny Mercer.

Episode 5

Only one song tonight, played over the final credits:

If I Give My Love To You sung by Joan Regan, a hit in 1954 when it reached number three in the charts. Written by Jimmy Brewster, Jimmie Crane and Al Jacobs, I thought at first it was the popular Doris Day recording.

Episode 6

I started off fine with:

Apache by The Shadows written by Jerry Lordan. Recorded in 1960.

Do You Mind sung by Anthony Newley and written by Lionel Bart. Another 1960 release. It reminded me of one of his other big hits I've Waited So Long. It was featured in the film "Idle on Parade" in 1959. One of the first films I went to see as a teenager. I was fourteen.

Shop Around by T he Miracles from 1960. Written by Bill "Smokey" Robinson and the incomparable Berry Gordy.

And that is where I lost it at the square dance. There was only 36 seconds of a song as they entered the hall. Thanks to Iain, the music supervisor (who helped with all the following songs) I can reveal it was:

Any Old Time written and sung by Jimmie Rogers who recorded the song in 1956.

Then clips of songs at the dance:

Sam McGee from Sunny Tennesee and Stefan Grossman.

Almost by George Morgan. From 1952 and written by Jack Toombs and Vic McAlpin.

Down That Road by Jonny McCarthy. I have to say these are all a bit obscure to me, but probably not to fans of the square dance.

The last song also had me foxed. I knew the title but not the artist. It turns out to be:

Love and Devotion by The Vocaleers. Recorded in 1960. Thanks Iain.

Episode 7

Only The Lonely by Roy Orbison. Recorded in 1960 and written by the singer and Joe Melson.

The Teddy Bear's Picnic by Henry Hall and his Orchestra. A 1932 recording. Thanks to Wikipedia, the melody was composed by  John Walter Bratton in 1907 with lyrics added by Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy in 1932.

Cheek To Cheek sung by Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers, although we didn't hear the latter last night. Written by Irving Berlin for the 1932 movie "Top Hat".

True Love sung by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly. Written in 1956 by Cole Porter for the movie High Society. A full clip can be seen on YouTube. I still have the LP of the soundtrack somewhere.

Episode 8

Sweeter Than You sung by Ricky Nelson, written by Baker Night and released in 1959.

Little Thing Mean A Lot sung by Joni James and not as I had originally suspected Kitty Kallen's number one in 1954. Joni's recording was in 1960 which makes more sense being on the jukebox.

Portrait Of My Love by Matt Monroe, reached number three on the UK charts in 1960 and written by Norman Newell. My favourite male singer of all time.

Well that's it for another series. Thanks again to Iain, the music supervisor for "Call The Midwife" for helping me when I got stuck. This week I couldn't make out the first song, though it sounded familiar (and I have an LP by Ricky Nelson) and guessed the wrong singer for the second (Kitty didn't have a choir on her recording).


7 comments:

Debs7 said...

Does anyone know the song over the final credits on tonight's episode?

David Roberts said...

Final song now listed above.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the song over the last part of tonight's episode. To Love Love Love Him?

David Roberts said...

It was "True Love" by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly - see the full clip on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

Hello, i'm french so .. sorry for the faults. I have a song in my head who doesn't want to go away. I heard him a few times in a few episodes. There is piano, violin,... I heard him for example when patsy see delia again in the bus in the christmas special episode. Could you tell me the name of the song please ? thanks a lot !!

David Roberts said...

When Patsy sees Delia on the bus, it is incidental music composed especially for the series. They use the same sort of theme throughout each episode.

Morag said...

April stevens