Wednesday 19 November 2014

A Career in Construction - Part 20

On the 20th March 1987, Mike Ellis left Farrans. He wasn't replaced. So I was pretty much on my own. Obviously, I carried on my own duties as if nothing had happened, but I was looking round to see if there were any opportunities with another company. I had one interview with Wimpey Construction Management but wasn't impressed.

Mike had joined Wiltshier Group as the MD of a brand new company, Wiltshier Construction Management. The only trouble was they had no work and no staff. So Mike was struggling when it came to interviews for new contracts. So in the end he convinced the group directors that he needed some permanent help and this led to me being made a good offer as Commercial Director. I joined on the 1st October 1987. But again, we were directors of nothing.

This new company had been given starting capital of £100,000 and this was going fast. Mike had a small office in the Harmondsworth group head office so we shared a desk. It seemed reckless at the time, but we made offers to more staff. An estimator, a project manager and a services coordinator. We had to put them somewhere and the decision was made to install some temporary accomodation in the grounds of Harmondsworth in the shape of a brand new and spacious portacabin. The new staff were not due to arrive until the start of the new year.

Mike and I did have a number of submissions and interviews for new work during the last months of the year, but come the end of December there was still nothing definite. The week before Christmas was pretty bleak. Things were so quiet Mike took me off to London to tour other contractor's sites so we could remind ourselves what a real job looked like. Yes, it was pretty desperate, but things would take a dramatic turn in the new year.

No comments: