Monday 20 January 2014

Songs from "Call The Midwife" - Series 3

Following my previous lists for Series 1, 2 and Christmas Specials, here we go again with a list of songs from Series 3 of "Call The Midwife". Although they seem to be getting more obscure, so it's real test to find the right song with the right artist.

THE TRAILER FOR SERIES 3

"Take Good Care Of My Baby" by Bobby Vee. How appropriate and what a great choice, from one of my all time favourite singers. His "Rubber Ball" gets a mention on my 131 Songs.

EPISODE 1

The first song is only a clip heard on Trixie's Dansette record player. It contains the words "...it's what you make it ...... always try to give....". That's as far as I go.
Thanks to Christine for letting me know the song is "Life is but a Dream" by The Castells. I found another version by The Harptones that sounds very similar.
Christine also found the song in Episode 2 of Series 2 that was so indistinct behind the conversation between Trixie and Jenny in their bedroom that I didn't even mention it. It was "I Only have Eyes For You" by The Flamingos.

"Little Star" by The Elegants. (Who are they?)

"The Angels Listened In" by The Crests. (Ditto)

"What a Difference a Day Made" by ..... not the classic Dinah Washington version, but by someone I could not find. Any help gratefully appreciated.
It was the Four Aces. A big thank you to the people on the Facebook page.

EPISODE 2

There is a song played in the background during the scene at the pub. It is really indistinct, but the tune sounds familiar. If anyone knows the song, please let me know.

The song is "Come Softly To Me" by The Fleetwoods. Thanks to Iain for the advice.

"You Always Hurt The One You Love" by Connie Francis. This song at the end of the episode sent shivers down my spine, even more so when I heard the full version on YouTube. One of the first LP's I ever bought was by Connie Francis. She had a great voice.

EPISODE 3

Easy to find the songs this week.

"Wouldn't it be loverly" by Julie Andrews

"I could have danced all night" by Julie Andrews

"May you always" by The McGuire Sisters

EPISODE 4

"You Were Meant For Me" by Gene Kelly. He sang this to Debbie Reynolds as they danced in the musical "Singing In The Rain".

"(I) Need Your Love So Bad" by The Vocaleers. Now who are They? This version took a lot of finding as there are so many versions of this song composed by Little Willie John.

I normally confine my song lists to those recordings form the fifties. But I have to mention Mozart's "Ave Verum" sung by the choir at the funeral. Outstanding.

EPISODE 5

"Never Do A Tango With An Eskimo" by Alma Cogan (I'm sure my father used to serve her in his shop on Kensington High Street.)

"Just You" by Dion and the Belmonts

Well that was pretty straightforward. But now it gets a lot harder to source the next songs.
When Patsy joins the other girls with a bottle of whisky, a record is playing that starts with a zither? A vocalist does join in, but far too indistinct to catch what it might be.
Thanks to Call The Midwife on Facebook for letting me know the two songs were by Sol Hoopii and his Novelty Quartet. They were "Don't Stop Loving Me" and "Under The Tropical Moon". They also recorded a song called "Hula Girl" but I guess that was too fast for Trixie and her hula hoop.

I thought I did pretty well to find the next song:
"Beside You" by Johnny Maestro and The Crests. The song title was easy, but I had never heard of this group, so they were pretty hard to track down.

Then we come to the song at the end. No idea. Lots of lyrics like "I'll Tell You Why" but no searching could identify the song.
P.S. Thanks to Anonymous, the song is "My Sugar Sugar" by The 5 Royales.

EPISODE 6

"Dedicated to the one I love" by The Shirelles

"Wait For Me" by Malcolm Vaughn

"There's a moon out tonight" by The Capris

"Shine On Harvest Moon" by The Four Aces (Yet another appearance by this group).

EPISODE 7

"Maria Elena" by Jim Reeves

"Goodnight My Love" by Ray Peterson

"Reaching For The Moon" by Ella Fitzgerald (Brought back memories of seeing her in 1967 at the Hammersmith Odeon (now Apollo) with Duke Ellington.

Again the song over the final credits has me stumped. Perhaps Anonymous will come to my rescue.
Anonymous (Christine) has helped again. Apparently it was "Why Oh Why" by The Tru-Tones.

EPISODE 8

You would have to have had a hard heart not to be effected by a truly wonderful last episode of Series3. And a couple of the songs only added to the lump in my throat.

"Hushabye" by The Mystics

I missed the song playing on the record player while Shelagh and Doctor Turner were talking.
Thanks again to Christine for finding "What Child Is This". It was written in 1865 to the tune of "Greensleeves" but the obvious recording would be that by Johnny Mathis in 1958. But we agree it doesn't sound like him.
 But no mistaking the next record.

"May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You" by Jim Reeves. A superb rendition, only to be trumped later when sung by the choir.

"I Look at You" by Johnny Mathis. How to tug on your heartstrings at the highly emotional finale.

Well, we come to the end of the third series. We are still missing the song at the pub in Episode 2 (now found), but apart from that, we seem to have a complete list. A piece of trivia: the most played singer/s over the three series is The Four Aces with five appearances. Someone likes them.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's great, thanks

Anonymous said...

Song at the end is My sugar sugar by the 5 royales.

David Roberts said...

Thank you so much, Anonymous, for letting me know about "My Sugar Sugar". I wonder how you knew it.
davidbboydroberts@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

"Again the song over the final credits has me stumped."

It's "Why Oh Why" by The Tru-Tones

David Roberts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Roberts said...

Thanks to Anonymous for letting me know the final songs on Episodes 5 and 7. Perhaps you can help with others missing form the lists.

Anonymous said...

the song that is played right after just you, series 3, ep 5 scene where chummy and husband are having a talk about her going back to work up until the part patsy enters the scene in the house while conversing about dusting and waxing is the song "unchain melody" a piano accompanied by Orchestra.

Anonymous said...

I've been following your list of songs for the series, and want to thank you for doing a wonderful job. You've done a great amount of work in keeping this information clean and up-to-date.

I've searched high and low for a Four Aces version of What a Difference A Day makes. I've looked at their discography every where, but this song just doesn't exist, in fact there is nothing on record that they recorded this great song. I have an extensive Whitburn collection, over 18 hard drives, and have searched over and over and I cannot find this song by them.
I believe the version that may have been used is a 1944 version performed by Andy Russell, it charted in the UK but not the US.

I have made a great .mp3 listing of the music. Re-mastering each song, it is great to listen to. Again thanks for a great job on putting the list together.
/r
Raymond (smirt@cox.net)

David Roberts said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for your comment. Like you, I could not find the track by the Four Aces. It was the people who run the Facebook page for "Call The Midwife" who told me who it was. I have a back up plan, so will be in touch.

Anonymous said...

Our music for Episode 8 was different in New Zealand.

Our episode finished with Johnny Mathis singing "Chances Are"

David Roberts said...

Raymond. I have received confirmation about "What a difference a day made" by The Four Aces. Hope you received my email with all the details.

Unknown said...

Please can you help me out? I need to know the song that played when Chummys mum passed?

David Roberts said...

I no longer have access to that episode, but could it have been the Jim Reeves song?

Marilyn Hodges said...

Unfortunately I didn't get into Call the Midwife until a few episodes ago (series 5 I think). I watched the last of the series tonight and it ended with a most beautiful version of 'Till' and I can't find out who sang it. Can anyone help please?

David Roberts said...

"Till" was sung by Shirley Bassey.

Anonymous said...

Jonna G-the song while Chummy's mum was dying: "Where Rose Lies" by London Chamber Orchestra. It's all I could find. It sounds familiar though. Feel like I've heard it other places.

Jonna said...

Thank you so much Rebecka ❤️