Saturday 3 August 2013

The Compost Heap

I know that this is a pretty boring subject, but in the last couple of years I have taken the advice of Monty Don on the BBC's "Gardener's World" and turned over the compost heap to help with it rotting down.

He always said that this exercise was better (and cheaper) than going down the gym. I have to say he is right. I raised my heart rate higher than when I am doing running sprints. I think that this may be partly due to the heavy shovel I use, so I am glad to alternate spreading in layers with a rest while watering. The heap pictured is all last year's grass cuttings, leaves and prunings etc., and it now waits until next year when I repeat the exercise ready for spreading on the garden the following spring.

My heaps therefore take two years plus to break down, and I therefore have three heaps on the go at any one time. I still have to turn the heap for next year's use, but that will have to wait until next week as I am completely knackered.

PS The heap for spreading next year is now turned. This time it filled the loose brick bin that was emptied in the spring.

I should really think about turning this year's new heap, but I think I will wait until autumn.

No comments: