Tuesday 14 May 2013

Oxford Town and Gown 10K

Ever since I started running just over a year ago, if there was one race I wanted to enter it would be the Oxford 10K. I had been to watch Alison run it a few times, so I was looking forward to running it myself on Sunday.
 
We were very lucky with the weather. Although the day started distinctly chilly with a cold breeze, at least it was sunny. We arrived in Oxford nice and early and parked on a meter in St Giles. Across the road was a cafe, open early, so we had a nice cup of tea. We joined a lot of people making their way to the start, but once we were in The Parks, we were amazed by the huge throng of runners collected by the tents.
 
We were getting quite cold despite the sun, so were glad to get the the starting area that was absolutely packed. It was not long before Christine Hamilton got us under way. The route was brilliant. In no time we were running in a wide road so we were not held up at all. The city roads were superb in the sunshine and I made sure I looked at all the buildings that we passed.
 
I didn't run with Alison, but I know she kept just behind me for the first 3K or so. My stop watch told me I was going too fast over the first few kilometres, but I was trying hard to run below my maximum. The result of keeping to my training plan was evident in the result.
 
I finished in 54 minutes 49 seconds. This is the equivalent to 8 minute 50 seconds minute mileing, so I was very pleased with the time. I came in 1,455th of the 3,039 runners and 27th of 70 male vets over 60 (being at the top end of this group, my age grade put me at 16th in this category). My overall position on age grade was 338th.
 
Alison did very well considering her disrupted training from her minor op, and being busy at work ( I can run whenever I want to). She came in 1,779th overall but 504th out of 1335 female runners and 701st overall on age grade. She was 62nd of 202 female vets 45 - 50 but 42nd on age grade. So she was also very pleased.
 
We didn't stay in Oxford afterwards, but called in at Waterperry Gardens on our way home for an early lunch. No other races are planned, just our Saturday morning Park Runs whenever we feel like it. It will be strange running without a strategy for a big race. But perhaps more relaxed.



No comments: