Friday 23 November 2012

My Favourite Instrumentals

When I compiled my list of 131 Songs, I consciously left out any that were just instrumental. So I thought that I would rectify that and list my favourite instrumental tracks of all time. Here they are:

Classical Gas by Mason Williams

Originally released in 1968, Classical Gas was written and performed by virtuoso guitarist Mason Williams. It gained  three Grammy awards in 1969. Check out the live version from 1988 on YouTube.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs

The Foggy Mountain Boys was a bluegrass band formed by guitarist Lester Flatt and banjo player Earl Scruggs who wrote this track that was first released in 1949. It was used as background music in the movie Bonnie and Clyde. A late Grammy award came in 2001 when it was performed by a group that included Steve Martin. I can see a huge influence here on Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Take 5 by The Dave Brubeck Quartet

I used to have this single when it came out in 1959, at a time I listened to Jazz more than anything else. It was written by Dave Brubeck's saxophonist Paul Desmond in the very unusual quintuple or 5/4 time. It has been covered numerous times, but the original cannot be beaten.

Rockin in Rhythm by Duke Ellington

Another jazz classic from my ancient collection. First recorded in 1931, the big band of Duke Ellington never sounded better. Not sure if it was played at the concert I attended at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1967. And what a concert. Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington.

Last Date by Floyd Cramer

This has to be my number one favourite, if only because every time I hear it, I get
a lump in my throat. Don't ask me why. It has the distinctive "slip note"  that Cramer developed as part of the Nashville sound of the time. Last Date was released in 1960 and sold over a million copies. Not bad for an instrumental.

No comments: