Monday 26 September 2011

Family History Website

In the end it was pretty straightforward. My brilliant family history software (Family Historian 4) has a special programme to save all my data to a folder especially for a website. It also had instructions (not very clear) about how to download an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and suggestions on recommended free web space. The FTP is Filezilla, and what an excellent piece of kit it turned out to be. But first I had to set up my webspace on RootsWeb freepages which is part of Ancestry. The link is http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~davidbbroberts.

So I was all set to go, and the transfer went really well. After a couple of days I could access my web space but I was very disappointed that it was not searchable. I tried for days searching for individuals but to no avail and I went off on holiday wondering what I could do next.

I need not have worried. As soon as I was back home, my first search on Google ( and every other search since) brings up any family member who has at least two Christian names with the link to my web space. That is just fantastic. All the individuals are on my father's side of the family. My next project will be to do the same for mother's ancestors.

I have also created some web space on Google Sites where I am starting to place some family history documents. The link is https://sites.google.com/site/dbbrobertsfamilyhistory. The two sites work so well together.

No comments: