Sunday 15 May 2011

Water for Elephants, Thor and True Grit

For the first time for ages, I went to see a movie on the day of it's opening, before any reviews here had been published. "Water for Elephants" is an interesting story, but it may have been better to read the book instead. Yes, there were some spectacular sets, depression era America has never looked so good. An early scene when the big top is erected is superb. But the romance between Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon never catches alight. There would always have been awkwardness in a relationship between a younger man and an older woman, but it does not make for easy viewing. Christoph Waltz's portrayal of the husband with a sinister side would have been great if he had not totally reprised his role from "Inglourious Basterds". I had thought a romantic melodrama would have been right up my street, so why it it feel so dull?

The reviews of "Thor" had been mixed, but I went expecting more, given the director was Kenneth Branagh. I should know by now that superhero movies nearly always disappoint. There was just too much CGI and not enough story. It starts off fine, as Thor is banished to earth for being far too cocky. But ultimately the final battle scenes are prolonged and boring. I should know by now.

I had to see "True Grit", mainly because of rave reviews and Oscar nominations, and apparently back to form for the Coen brothers. But somehow I had forgotten that this was a western. And I don't like westerns. So no matter how much there is to recommend, and there is a lot, for me it is just another western. The best thing about the film is the cinematography. Roger Deakins deservedly won the BAFTA (but only nominated for the Oscar) for the sweeping landscapes. They might have looked even better on celluloid instead of digital.

No comments: