Sunday 12 December 2010

131 Songs - Numbers 69 and 70 - My favourite Christmas song

Number 69 - Let It Snow by Dean Martin

I almost picked the original version by Vaughn Monroe which plays over the credits for the first two Die Hard movies. But I wanted Dean in my 131 songs, so he gets my vote. Written by Sammy Hahn and Jule Styne in 1945, it conjures up Christmases (and birthdays) from my childhood. The alternative title is "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow".

Number 70 - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee

I was only going to choose one Christmas song. But there is something about Brenda's 1958 recording of the Johnny Marks composition that gets me every time. It only became popular in the early sixties and just sounds like pre Beatles America. I guess your favourite Christmas songs come from your teenage years.

No comments: