Tuesday 7 September 2010

131 Songs - Numbers 53, 54 and 55

Number 53 - That Was Your Mother by Paul Simon

It was hard to choose which song from Paul Simon's Graceland, one of my favourite albums. Instead one of the classic tracks recorded with black African musicians, I went for one of the the final two tracks where Paul Simon tries to find a musical connection closer to home. That Was Your Mother is inspired by the Zydeco bands of Cajun Louisiana. I posted my feelings about Louisiana Blues on my blog on 10/06/2008, and I guess that is why I have plumped for this track. The great accordion playing that is associated with this type of music is by Alton Rubin Snr, or Dopsie himself from the backing band Dopsie and the Twisters.

Number 54 - Local Hero by Bruce Springsteen

Despite not owning a Bruce Springsteen album, I remember reading the reviews of the two simultaneously released Human Touch and Lucky Town, and decided to buy them together. I'm glad I did. The former had apparently taken an age to perfect, whilst the latter, taking no time at all, is a stripped down recording of songs that were written during this time. Bruce dispensed with his band and played all the instruments apart from drums. And it shows in the clarity of the sound that I find missing on many of his other more famous songs. The album has a number of great compositions including the wonderful If I Should Fall Behind and My Beautiful Reward. But I have chosen a typical Bruce uptempo number. If there was one of his songs I could hear live it would be Local Hero.

Number 55 - Heaven by Bryan Adams

Alison is a huge fan, but I find his music a little ordinary. However, the two live concerts, especially that at Route of Kings in Hyde Park in July 1999, were excellent. The venue in Hyde Park was of temporary stands on three sides so everyone was seated. Bryan Adams was only supported by a bass player and drummer, but the sound was great, with a virtuoso performance by Bryan on guitar. One of the most memorable gigs we have been to. I have picked a track that is not so typical of his repertoire. But just a great song.

No comments: